Wheelie School London
Our Wheelie School in London follows our Kneedown School ethos of providing an exhilarating day's training of learning how to do wheelie's, whilst providing an unparalleled level of safety. We believe that in providing this type of wheelie training, we teach bikers how to handle the power of the machines in carefully controlled fashion. By teaching on an off road facility, and with multiple levels of safety, we make the process of learning how to wheelie as safe as humanly possible, and help to take experimentation off the road and away from the associated dangers. Even the police can't disagree that we're doing a good thing!
Our training days at our London Wheelie School are informative, and contribute to improved rider skill, but they are also intended to be fun. No particular prior skill level is required to attend the wheelie school training day, however, you will be required to have a valid full (unrestricted) UK Motorcycle licence (Category A)
Wheelie School Safety
We understand that people who attend our wheelie school in London want to learn how to pull wheelie's, but above everything, we concentrate on teaching you how to do wheelie's safely! Many people try to experiment and try learning to do wheelie’s on their own bikes, on public roads, which is not only dangerous, but also illegal! We use a specially adapted bike which has safety features unparrelled by any other wheelie school in the country.
Our Wheelie School Training Bikes
Our wheelie school training bike's are Suzuki 1200cc Bandit's. This is a great wheelie training bike, as it's easy to ride and manoeuvre, despite it's large engine capacity. The bike itself is absolutely standard, and is furnished with standard road tyres. However, we have designed and built a rear stabiliser/protection device that has no less than 4 separate safety features to protect the rider against excessively high wheelies. This doesn't affect the handling of the bike, but provides a level of safety - both electronic and mechanical - not matched by any other wheelie school in the country.
Learn to Wheelie in safety 1 Stop Instruction Wheelie School. Again, we use a custom designed modified motorbikes, developed by specialist motorcycle engineers, which we believe are far safer and more refined than anything used by other wheelie and stunt schools: Most schools employ either a fixed skid - which hits the ground hard when the maximum angle reached - quite a shock for the first time wheelie-king; or alternatively, a rod-mounted switch, which cuts the ignition. The ignition-cut techique is a good way to control wheelies, but under wheelie school conditions, it requires constant adjustment as riders of different weights use the bike. If the instructor fails to adjust correctly, a student can easily end up pulling a 120° wheelie with disastrous consequences.
Our novel system allows you to learn how to wheelie without requiring adjustment between riders of different weights, and provides much greater control of angle-limit. Our bike has no fewer than three anti-flip devices fitted to the bike, and, unlike other schools, we employ soft cut-outs which allow greater control of the bike when the limit switch operates. This prevents the bike coming crashing down to earth!
Safety Functions of our wheelie training bike include:
- Switchable Low Angle-activated soft-cut out device (later in the day, you can switch this off, to achieve higher wheelies)
- Fixed High-level soft cut-out - provided by a failsafe microswitch mounted on the rear trailing wheel
- Mechanical Limiting device - provided by rear trailing wheel itself. This unit is sprung like a suspension strut, so it's a soft limitation device
- Mechanical Hard Limit - achieved when the trailing wheel reaches the top of its suspension travel.
Our wheelie courses are run in conjunction with our knee-down courses, and are no longer avaialable as a stand alone course. We have found that many people prefer to to want to learn how to wheelie, also want to learn how to get their knee down too. As the only wheelie school in the country to be able to offer tuition for wheelie's and knee down, our wheelie courses are now available as part of a combined Back-to-Back course, which gets you scrapping your sliders and pulling wheelies in the same day.
Wheelie School Itinerary
A typically wheelie training day is as follows:
- 8:45am: Arrival. Tea/Coffee
- 9am: Course Starts
- Safety Presentation
- Short Theory Session
- 10:00am: Technique practice - This is normally split up into short stints of around 5minutes each. It is a lot easier to learn in many short sessions rather than fewer longer sessions. You will practice and develop the technique during these sessions, and you will be stopped at intervals for tips and/or correcting your technique.
- 12:30pm: Lunch Break
- 1:00pm: The rest of the day is used for honing and improving the technique, focusing on keeping the wheel in the air and perfecting smooth landings.
- 2:30 - 3:00pm: Day Finishes with a bunch of wheelie experts!
Wheelie Price List
|Weekday Wheelie Course||£225|
|Weekend Wheelie Course||£250|
n.b Weekend Rates apply for any Bank Holidays
How do I book my Wheelie Course?
There are 3 ways that you can book yourself onto a Wheelie course:
- You can book online.
- You can book over the phone by calling 020 8597 7333 or 0800 848 8418
- You can come into our offices to pay cash. (If you would ike to take this option, please contact our office on 020 8597 7333 or 0800 848 8418 before making your journey, so that we can ensure someone will be present to greet you).
Please note, to book onto a kneedown or wheelie school you will first need to satisfy some basic requirements:
- Be able to competantly ride a 600cc manual motorcycle.
- You must be able to read a number plate from a distance of 20.5 meters (the use of glasses is allowed)
- Be at least 5 foot 4 inches (1.524m) in height whilst standing barefoot.
Professional training services offered for all types of licence requirements, including advanced training, and assessments for compliance and auditing purposes